Bupleurum has been used in Chinese medicine practice for over 1000 years and is said to strengthen the liver qi and aid in the effectiveness of the spleen. Now, what am I on about? How does this help your healing with endometriosis?
Endometriosis is made worse by excess estrogens and prostaglandins. Estrogens are hormones that encourage growth in the body, including the growth of the endometriosis cells found in the wrong place in our abdominal area. Prostaglandins are hormone-like substances that can act in a positive or negative way with inflammation, clotting and pain. Well, thing is both of these make endometriosis worse and more painful to deal with.
They are both fat-soluble in the body. They are also both broken down by our liver and should then be excreted out of the body. The problem with endo women is that the liver is not breaking these down at a fast enough rate and our digestive system is not able to excrete them well enough. They then simply get re-absorbed into the body. This causes an imbalance of too much of both estrogens and prostaglandins. Both of which we certainly don’t want in our bodies!
So, along comes bupleurum. It will actually increase the metabolism of protein and fatty acids. What this means is, it will help the liver to break down those excess estrogens and prostaglandins to then allow the body to flush them out properly. See, the liver and the digestive system work closely together. The liver is a detoxifying organ and most of what sits in our bowels is waste/toxic and needs to be broken down. If the liver is not strong enough to break down the stuff in our bowels, then our bowels won’t work well either. This is why many women with endo will automatically have problems with their bowels too. Naturally, we can strengthen our bowels, which makes the job on the liver easier but it is important to note that the two are closely interlinked.
Now, the thing with Bupleurum is that it has other health benefits too!
- Bupleurum has antiviral properties. It has been proven to successfully fight off severe infections like chicken box. This is beneficial when you consider that it protects our bodies from infections and potential invaders.
- Anti-inflammatory action. Bupleurum stimulates corticosteroid production, which then increases the anti-inflammatory action. Inflammation is created by too many prostagladin 2 substances. They have a higher production when we eat a diet high in fats. Bupleurum works to break these high fats down through the liver, which then lowers the amount of prostoglandin 2s and thereby lowering our pain, inflammation and clotting.
- Inhibits the growth of liver cancer cells. Cancer cells are essentially created by the body to protect the rest of the body from further toxins. Bupleurum is able to flush out the excess toxic load on the liver.
- Lowers plasma cholesterol.
- Increases hepatic protein synthesis, which heals an injured liver.
Bupleurum is a native species grown in East Asia. It is also called Sho-saiko-to’s.
You can get bupleurum from Amazon: Bupleurum Tincture.
I have started my personal batch yesterday and have already noticed that my digestion was improved.
If you have not read the story by Julia of her personal healing of endometriosis and how she incorporated bupleurum into her healing strategy, you can read it here.