Established in 2010
Well, I woke up with that wonderful shallow burning pain and needing to go to the toilet desperately. I wouldn’t have minded laying there for a few minutes to adjust to the morning light but my body was telling me to go immediately!
I had a wonderful bout of runny tummy followed by that knowing that it was that time of the month. I felt crap. Cramping, bloated and light-headed, I straddled myself back upstairs to try and face another day at work. I managed to get to work, even though I could feel the pain while getting ready. I took some ibuprofen as this normally works pretty well but it wasn’t doing the trick this month.
So, I had to take a day off work. Truth is, I had worked really hard yesterday and possibly overdid it. I was feeling okay but somehow shaky and the thought of having to concentrate was too much. Energy draining stuff!
So I went home. Here is the process I have taken to feel a whole lot better by the middle of the day:
1. Took off all that fancy work wear and put on my sloppy pants. These should ideally be ones with a drawstring or very loose elastic! I can’t handle any elastic!
2. I made myself a tea. Initially I made a chamomile tea but I have varied my tea selection throughout the day.
3. Made myself a heat pack. Now you can use a hot water bottle for this but I find the heat pack better because it isn’t as heavy on the tummy and I have this cool strap for it so I can walk around with it too!
4. Watched several chick flick movies. I love these when I am sore as I somehow feel better when I let some of that emotion out. I like to cry at all the soppy scenes and it somehow distracts me from my own pain and potentially feeling sorry for myself. Here is what I watched: The Notebook, Marley and Me and of course Sex and the City!
5. Ate some cucumber and parsley to get my body to flush out what it needs to.
6. Did some really basic yoga which opens up the lower pelvic area. These are seriously light and not strenuous but do wonders! It gets oxygen into the area, which really alleviates the pain extremities!
7. Gave myself a calendula massage. This is a beautiful oil that doesn’t smell funny afterwards. I rub it in and give myself a light massage. It somehow just alleviates that total bloated feeling.
8. Ate lots of fruit and nuts throughout the day and drank heaps of water too. This ensured I didn’t get that hunger sensation like I had the other day.
So, it is amazing how much better all these little things in combination can do. They don’t get rid of the pain totally but I do feel much better than I did this morning. The main thing is not to panic about the pain. Remember when we cramp we get more sore!
More related articles below.
What do you do when you get sore? What works for you? Any other ideas besides the ones I used today?